Saturday, April 30, 2011

Toshiba NB505-N508BL 10.1-Inch Netbook (Blue)



This unit is very much like the NB305 series with the card reader location exchanged with the audio inputs, by moving the reader to the front and vice versa. Some people may be interested to know...the SD card reader holds the card kind of flush with the front edge of the computer, but does not use the type of mechanism that I am used to. Some types push the CD card into a spring and lock. This one, just pushes into place with no lock and no click. You have to sort of pry the card out when you want it out, but if you leave a card docked there, like I do, its not a problem and it doesn't dangerously stick out the side of the machine when you are putting it into a case. Plus they save the cost and complexity of a spring.
Although I shouldn't compare the 2 models. The NB305-310 is a joy, the NB505, not so much. NB505 Sound is wimpy, essentially requiring even the cheapest set of external speakers for acceptable (and audible) sound. That's one of the downfalls with the new slew of Netbooks in general. Is stereo worth the extra $30, U decide. Also this unit uses the N455 processor instead of N450, shades of gray regarding performance, as far as I can tell (I have both systems). Also battery life has dropped from 11 hours (NB305) to 9.5 hrs (NB505), according to their specs. I am not sure if this is a different 6 cell battery, a function of the Atom 455, or Win 7. I suppose people were complaining about the battery life being too long.
(I read that the N455 chip supports DDR3 memory. CompUSA tech says this unit doesn't support DDR3. You are probably better off ordering a netbook with the DDR3 already in it, but read on for caveats. Update1: Even though Toshiba website says the NB505-500 ships with DDR3, in their spec sheet it says DDR2, so I think all these units are only DDR2 right now. Update2: When I checked the specs for the 305-410 which actually does come with DDR3, the spec sheet says it runs at 667Mhz not 1000Mhz. Can anyone confirm this? Why even bother? Maybe they got a deal on some DDR3 chips? I wonder if other vendors are pulling this trick? viola! NO performance gain.)
I love the Keyboard and the mouse and the isolated arrow keys. I also prefer the separate mic/speaker ports to the single port PC's.
If you don't get a lemon, (lemons are pretty rare), it's a solid machine. If you get a bad one, then for goodness sake run fast and return or exchange it as soon as you can, because I have heard terrible things about Toshiba support for problem hdwe.
Update3: I run XP on my NB305-310 to get the most bang for my buck and I really love it (run more than a few apps at a time, choose your own screen background, exotic stuff like that, plus all those old programs you have invested $$ in actually run on XP)! I loaded XP on this NB505 last night and had to use the 305-310 drivers. So far everything works except Networking (internal and wireless). Still not sure why the networking is having trouble though all the other drivers seemed to work. (See my comments)
And, in case anyone even mentions the fact that the hi-resolution isn't supported, Well it is! You just have to hook up an external display, like the Aquos TV to view hi-res to your hearts content. The built-in panel is clear with rich color and it drives an external display very well.
click here for more information

No comments:

Post a Comment